Federal Skilled Worker Program
As the name implies, the Federal Skilled Worker Program covers applicants with either university education (professionals), who have demonstrated skills or experience in their respective profession or occupation and have the ability to independently adapt to Canadian workforce. Both self-employed and the employed persons can apply as Skilled worker, provided they satisfy the occupational requirements.
The selection is based on a Selection Grid and a Point system. The applicants are assessed on 6 factors on the Grid like Age, education, length of experience, proficiency in Official languages (English/ French), Arranged Employment and Adaptability. Based on the individual situation, points are awarded for each of these factors, as per the Points system. An applicant with a total score more than the Pass mark can apply.
Additional points are awarded for ‘Arranged employment‘ i.e. a job offer from a qualified Canadian employer.The Pass mark may be re-set by the department from time to time. The current pass mark is 67, out of a possible maximum of 100 points.The Selection factors are as follows:
Proficiency in Official languages Arranged Employment
Some of the features of the FSW program are as follows:
- Minimum English language thresholds – minimum 6 bands in the IELTS General test;
- Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) by a Canadian organization for all Non-Canadian educational credentials;
- Adaptability points for language ability of the spouse.
A few salient features of the factors in the above Selection Grid are discussed below:
- The maximum score for the Age factor is for ages 18-35 years.
- For education, Points are awarded for completed education only, and as per the ECA. Part-time or Correspondence study may also qualify.
- Work Experience in the last 10 years is considered.
- The Language points are based on either of the 2 Official languages of Canada, English & French. These are based on score in an approved Language test. IELTS and CELPIP are approved for English, whereas TEF is approved for French. Maximum possible score in the first language is 24 and in second language is 4.
- Arranged Employment: Additional points are awarded for ‘Arranged employment’ i.e. a job offer from a Canadian employer, ‘confirmed’ by Service Canada.
- Adaptability: Points are awarded for Close relatives who are Canadian citizens/ Permanent Residents, for language abilities of spouse, for previous study or work in Canada, and Arranged employment.